I don’t have to tell you that we live in a digital world – you’re reminded of it every morning when you grab your smart phone, turn on your computer or tablet and check your email. On these devices consumers are constantly bombarded with online marketing ads, emails and phone calls, but your marketing can cut through this noise to reach your consumer. How? Easy – through their mailbox.
Every day 98% of consumers reach into their mailbox grab their mail and take it inside their home. From there it is sorted and reviewed, and most importantly it is in the hands of the person in charge of managing household operations1. This mail moment is only part of why direct mail continues to crush its competition, read on for 4 more reasons.
Direct Mail is Personal and Emotional
- 67% of people feel that direct mail is more personal than the internet. Why? Direct mail is delivered directly to their home and is tangible. Tangible media causes more emotional processing and brain responses for internal feelings which leaves a deeper footprint.2
- Direct mail is so personal that 75% of people open their mail3, 56% of people say receiving mail is a “real pleasure” and 55% state they “look forward” to discovering the mail they’ve received!1
Direct Mail Captures Attention
- Consumers spend an average of 25 minutes each day reading direct mail.1 Whereas, 6 in 10 people spend only half an hour or less per week opening and browsing marketing email.4 With direct mail you have the chance to have your consumer’s time in one day as you would for the entire week with emails.
Direct Mail is Targeted
- 2/3 of this country’s citizens have registered for the Do Not Call List5 that means if you are only using telemarketing you are missing out on the majority of your potential consumers.
- 52% of US Households have a DVR6 so your TV ads are being passed by. Not to mention the millions of people that leave the room during commercials and those you are reaching that have no interest or are not qualified for what you are offering.
- Radio and Newspaper are like TV as a reach media. Why reach out to everyone when you can focus on your target audience?
- Direct mail is targeted by location, age, income, interests and more!
Direct Mail Creates a Reaction
- Response rates are 5 times higher than their closest competitor (paid searches) and 37 times higher than email marketing! (Direct mail averages a 1.1-1.4%, email is .03%, internet display ads are .04% and paid search is .22%)7
- 71% of internet leads are never contacted!8 For those that are contacted, immediate response is vital to making the most of the leads and there are very few companies that are able to reach these consumers within the best time frame to qualify and sell them.
- Direct mail doesn’t have the immediacy that internet leads do – consumers expect a wait time – after all it is a mail response.
Direct mail continues to show why it is relevant in this digital age. Of course we all know that having multiple channels of marketing is your best solution, so don’t miss out on the one that’s been around the longest and still continues to outperform its competition. Are you using direct mail? Let us know your results or get started today!
Sources – 1: USPS Mail Moment 2: Millward Brown Case Study 3: Direct Mail Information Service 4: Blue Kangaroo ChoozOn Survey 5: FTC, 2012 6: Leichtman Research Group 7: DMA Response Rate Report/Harvard Business Review 8: Forbes.com/InsideSales.com Research